In one year, Trane Co. increased its floor space in La Crosse by 23 percent, growing to over 1 million square feet in 1957, as show in this 1958 aerial photo looking east from 16th Street (the three-spoke building in the background is Harry Spence Elementary). Included in this expansion total is a new 65,000-square-foot engineering building (labeled in this 1958 aerial photo as No. 1), the first phase of a laboratory expansion (No. 2), a new 78,000-square-foot heat exchanger building (No. 3), and a new 60,000-square-foot structure (No. 4). Other facilities seen in this photo include a production facility (No. 5), a painting building (No. 6), an older manufacturing plant (No. 7), warehouses (No. 8), other manufacturing facilities (No. 9 and No. 10) and the purchasing building (No. 11). At that time, Trane also had its executive offices at Third Street and Cameron Avenue, and a separate manufacturing plant along St. Andrew St. on the city’s North Side.