You are the owner of this page.
A1 A1
ColtenB / JENNIFER JANKE, For the Tribune 

Central sophomore Terrance Thompson (left), junior Noah Parcher (middle), and sophomore Jordan Davis share a light moment during the second half of Saturday's WIAA Division 2 sectional final in Stevens Point, Wis. Central beat Marshfield 72-52.

Two golds and a silver: La Crosse area high school teams shine on state's biggest stage
Nate Beier for the La Crosse Tribune 

Aquinas celebrates its golden trophy after beating previously unbeaten Melrose-Mindoro in the Division 4 championship game of the WIAA girls state basketball tournament Saturday in Green Bay.

GREEN BAY — For the first time since the WIAA inaugurated its state girls basketball tournament in 1976, the Coulee Region is the home of two state champions.

Fourth-ranked Bangor High School ended a 21-year drought without a state title by beating top-ranked Black Hawk 39-29 for the Division 5 championship at the Resch Center. Then Aquinas capped off the day by winning another one, in Division 4.

The top-ranked Blugolds beat second-ranked Melrose-Mindoro 68-52 in the Division 4 title game, meaning the area added two gold balls and one silver to its collective trophy case on Saturday.

“The basketball on the west side of the state is greatly improved when you think about all of the college-level players that are there today,” said Aquinas coach Dave Donarski, whose team completed a 28-0 season. “It’s great because I think this can separate us now a little bit and say that we play a pretty good brand of hoops out there.”

The Cardinals (26-3) received nine points and 15 rebounds from senior Jaclynn Freit and nine points and nine rebounds from senior Emma Wittmershaus in becoming the first team this season to beat Black Hawk (28-1).

Kyah Steiner had 13 points and 14 rebounds, Madessa Collins 13 points and 11 rebounds, and Jess Peterson 13 points to help the Blugolds beat the Mustangs (27-1). Junior Erika Simmons led Melrose-Mindoro with 14 points and 11 rebounds.

top story
Lovechild co-owner and chef Jay Sparks a semi-finalist for prestigious James Beard Award

In the 15 months since Lovechild restaurant opened in downtown La Crosse, chef Jay Sparks has made a name for himself in the Coulee Region, and recently, nationally as well.

Sparks, employed in the culinary trade for 37 years and a first-time restaurant owner, is one of 20 semifinalists for the prestigious James Beard Award for Best Chef in the Midwest, selected from hundreds of nominations submitted on behalf of chefs in eight states.

Founded in 1990, the James Beard Foundation presents annual awards in 21 categories, divided into 10 regions, with nearly 23,000 nominations received for the 2018 honors. Known as “the Oscars of the food world,” a James Beard Award is coveted among culinary artists, though Sparks never fathomed his own nomination.

“I was really surprised,” said Sparks, who learned of his nomination on Feb. 15 and knows and admires several of his fellow regional semi-finalists. “It was unexpected for sure — it’s a big honor. Everyone on (the list) is worthy for sure.”

Nominations for “chefs who have set new or consistent standards of excellence in their respective regions” were accepted during an open entry period last fall. The James Beard Foundation declined to offer a comment on Sparks and the number of nominations he received, citing “an effort to remain neutral to semifinalists and nominees.” To be eligible for Best Chef: Midwest, candidates must have been a chef for at least five years and spent the past three working in the region.

Sparks, a Tampa native, and partner Joan Ferris opened Lovechild, located at 300 S. Third St., in December 2016 after two decades working for the D’Amico restaurant company in Minneapolis.

“I just wanted to finish my career in one restaurant,” said Sparks, whose cooking philosophy is “quality trumps all.”

Offering an “eclectic” menu of Mediterranean and Italian fare, in addition to Spark’s personal favorite dishes, the upscale venue is highly rated on Yelp, Trip Advisor and Google Reviews, and has seen an upsurge in diners during the last month.

“I feel we’ve been enthusiastically received in the area,” Sparks said. “No doubt the Beard (nomination) has given us a little push.”

Sparks acknowledges recognition comes with heightened expectations, but calls the challenge inspiring rather than intimidating. Sparks laughed when asked what makes him a great chef, offering, “You have to like the work — you’ve got to be curious.”

Sparks is quick to note his staff plays a considerable role in Lovechild’s success and his subsequent nomination, saying, “Getting the right collection of humans is so important. Every person on this list — there are five people behind them that help them look good.”

A panel of 600 restaurant critics, food and wine editors, culinary educators and past James Beard Award winners are currently whittling the semifinalists in each category down to five, with finalists to be announced Wednesday and winners revealed in May. Five chefs from Wisconsin, hailing from Madison and Milwaukee, have won in previous years.

Luke Zahm, chef and owner of the Driftless Cafe in Viroqua, was one of seven nominated for Best Chef: Midwest last year. The Coulee Region has not yet had a chef make the final five round.

“It’s a very tough list to crack, that top five,” Sparks said. “But it’s a thrill to be in the top 20, for sure ... Whatever happens past this would be gravy. I’m very pleased to be recognized.”

For a full list of semifinalists, visit Finalists will be named online and via Twitter starting 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

Oregon couple’s final days captured in intimate aid-in-dying video

On the last morning of their lives, Charlie and Francie Emerick held hands.

The Portland, Ore., couple, married for 66 years and both terminally ill, died together in their bed on April 20, 2017, after taking lethal doses of medication obtained under the state’s Death With Dignity law.

Francie, 88, went first, within 15 minutes, a testament to the state of her badly weakened heart. Charlie, 87, a respected ear, nose and throat physician, died an hour later, ending a long struggle that included prostate cancer and Parkinson’s disease diagnosed in 2012.

“They had no regrets, no unfinished business,” said Sher Safran, 62, one of the pair’s three grown daughters. “It felt like their time, and it meant so much to know they were together.”

In the two decades since Oregon became the first state to legalize medical aid-in-dying, more than 1,300 people have died there after obtaining lethal prescriptions. The Emericks were among 143 people to do so in 2017, and they appear to be the only couple to ever take the drugs together, at the same time, officials said.

The pair, early members of the 1980s-era Hemlock Society, had supported the choice for years, and, when their illnesses worsened, they were grateful to have the option for themselves, family members said.

“This had always been their intention,” said daughter Jerilyn Marler, 66, who was the couple’s primary caretaker in recent years. “If there was a way they could manage their own deaths, they would do it.”

Before they died, the Emericks agreed to allow Safran and her husband, Rob Safran, 62, founders of the Share Wisdom TV Network, of Kirkland, Wash., to record their final days and hours. At first, the video was intended just for family, but then Safran asked her parents for permission to share it publicly.

“I think it can help change the way people think about dying,” she said.

The result is “Living & Dying: A Love Story,” a 45-minute documentary that details the background of the Emericks’ final decision and their resolve in carrying it out.

Shot mostly with handheld smartphones, the video captures the intimate moments of the couple’s preparations in their last week of life.

Charlie Emerick was a former medical missionary in India and chief of ENT at a Portland-area Kaiser Permanente hospital. (Kaiser Health News is not affiliated with Kaiser Permanente.) He was diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease in 2012, after dealing with symptoms of the disease for years. He suffered from prostate cancer and heart problems and learned in early 2017 that he had six months or less to live. In the documentary, he described his thoughts as he pondered whether to use aid-in-dying.

“You keep going, Charlie, you’re going to get worse and worse and worse,” he explained to Sher Safran, in a quavering voice. “The other can’t be worse than this.”

Francie Emerick, who handled marketing and public relations for the hospital in India, appears vital and articulate in the video. Her daughters, however, say that her energy was fleeting and that it masked years of decline after multiple heart attacks and cancer.

In the video, Francie acknowledged that she could have survived a bit longer than her husband. But, she said, she didn’t want to.

“Charlie and I have a rather unique relationship in that we have done and been so much to each other for 70 years,” she said.

The pair carefully followed the specifics of the law, which requires examinations by two different doctors to determine a prognosis of six months or less to live, multiple confirmations of intent and the ability of patients to ingest the lethal drugs themselves. The process takes a minimum of 15 days.

“We do want it to be legal,” Francie said.

The video traces the arc of the couple’s lives. The Emericks met as college students in Nebraska, married on April 4, 1951, and spent years in the 1960s as medical missionaries in Miraj, India. Dr. Emerick’s career took them to Southern California and then to Washington state, to India and ultimately to Oregon, all while raising three girls. In 2004, they moved into an apartment in a retirement community in Portland.

That’s where the Emericks died on a cloudy Thursday last spring, six days after a family celebration that included their children and grandchildren — and, at Francie’s request, root beer floats. The gathering was happy, but bittersweet, family members said.

“There were moments that they expressed great sadness at the goodbye that was coming,” Marler recalled.

The Emericks sought help from Linda Jensen, a veteran team leader with End of Life Choices Oregon, a nonprofit agency that supports people seeking to use the state’s Death With Dignity law.

“They were pretty well informed,” said Jensen, who has assisted with dozens of deaths in 13 years. “What they wanted to understand was what a planned death really looks like.”

The video includes a meeting between Jensen and the Emericks two days before they died. It would be nothing like dying on TV, she told them.

“You do not lose control of your bowel or bladder. You do not gasp for breath,” she explained. Instead, she said, they would simply go to sleep.

The Emericks went over the plan: no breakfast, just pills to calm their stomachs at 9 a.m., followed by the lethal drugs an hour later.

Safran and Marler appear calm and determined as they help finalize their parents’ arrangements.

“There was a lot of grieving ahead of time because we knew it was coming,” Marler said.

Some members of the family disagreed with the couple’s decision, but the Emericks were determined.

“You two have never wavered?” Safran asked her mom.

“We have not,” Francie replied.

The video captured details of the final morning: Charlie saluting the camera farewell as he’s wheeled down the hall, Safran’s tearful last hug from her mother, Charlie and Francie clasping hands after they swallow the drugs.

“It just takes such a huge amount of internal strength and self-knowing to face that choice, to make that choice and then bring along all the people that love you and are going to miss you,” Jensen said.

There was no funeral after the deaths. The Emericks had donated their bodies for research through a program at the Oregon Health & Science University and any remains wouldn’t typically be returned for two or three years, a spokeswoman said.

In the interim, the video has become comforting and precious to the family, said Safran.

“It’s very lovely, just to hear their voices,” she said.

The documentary also serves a larger purpose: helping others to understand how aid-in-dying works, she said.

Carol Knowles, 70, was a member of Francie Emerick’s book club. The Emericks didn’t tell other residents about their plans. Knowles said she was surprised when they died the same day — until she saw the documentary.

“I thought it was brave and beautiful,” she said. “You could see the care with which Charlie and Francie had made that decision.”

Another member of the group expressed concern, however, saying her religion prohibited any efforts to hasten death. Knowles said she plans to take the documentary to the retirement center’s social worker before showing it more widely.

“We want to do it in a way that will not scare them or make them feel uncomfortable,” she said.

Stephen Drake, research analyst for the disability rights group Not Dead Yet, had serious reservations about making the video public. He worried that presenting aid-in-dying in a positive light “changes the expectations; this romanticizes the idea of not just suicide, but a double suicide,” Drake said.

Safran said she expects strong reactions — including criticism — for chronicling her parents’ final days. But she said the documentary honors the Emericks’ belief that, if possible, everyone should have a say in when and how they die.

“We have a faith that says life is not to be worshipped,” Francie said. “It’s the quality of life that counts.”

“They were pretty well informed. What they wanted to understand was what a planned death really looks like.” Linda Jensen, a veteran team leader with End of Life Choices Oregon, a nonprofit agency