Sgt. Troy Christianson mug

Sgt. Troy Christianson of the Minnesota State Patrol

Question: My wife and I love to ride our Honda 1800 Goldwing trike. Can our granddaughter ride between us on short rides? She is seven and loves to ride too.

Answer: Your motorcycle owner’s manual states, “Your motorcycle is designed to carry you and one passenger.” Based on that and laws below, it is illegal and unsafe to allow a third passenger.

When it comes to motorcycle operation:

An operator must ride on a permanent seat.

Passengers must ride on a passenger seat or in a sidecar.

Passengers under the age 18 must wear a DOT-approved helmet.

Passengers must be able to reach both footrests while seated in the passenger seat.

Operators and passengers must face forward with one leg on each side of the motorcycle.

The operator of a motorcycle is prohibited from carrying passengers in excess of the designed capacity of the motorcycle or sidecar attached to it.

For additional safety tips for riding with a passenger, visit

Question: Which states have handgun carry permit laws similar to Minnesota’s permit to carry law?

Answer: The following states have similar laws and out-of-state permits that are valid in Minnesota: Alaska, Delaware, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina and South Dakota.

These states have laws different from Minnesota's and so the permits are not valid:Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

It is important to know the laws of each state you travel through if you intend to carry a handgun.  

You can avoid a ticket — and a crash — if you simply buckle up, drive at safe speeds, pay attention and always, drive sober. Help us drive Minnesota Toward Zero Deaths.

Send questions concerning traffic related laws or issues in Minnesota to Sgt. Troy Christianson of the Minnesota State Patrol at 2900 48th St. NW, Rochester, Minn., 55901-5848. or


Load comments