No one was hurt after a chemical fire ignited at a Sparta plant.
The Sparta City Fire Department says emergency officials were called at 2:45 p.m. Wednesday to the Northern Engraving Corp. plant in Sparta for a reported fire in an oven.
The plant was evacuated after officials determined two chemicals that were being heated in the oven were overheated and started on fire.
An alcohol-type foam was applied to the fire to smother it, since water reacts badly with the chemicals.
Firefighters were on the scene for four hours. There is no damage estimate for the oven or chemicals involved.
Assisting was the Sparta Rural Fire Department, the Monroe County Hazmat team and the La Crosse Hazardous Materials team.