WEST SALEM — No one was injured in a fire Thursday evening that caused extensive damage to a West Salem home.

The fire broke out shortly before 7:30 p.m. at N4965 Briarcliffe Court in the town of Hamilton, just off of Hwy. 16. When the West Salem Fire Department arrived at the home of Mark and Julie Beyer, there was heavy smoke and flames showing, said Chief Dave Munson.

“The family had all gotten out safely,” he said.

Munson said the fire likely started in the garage and the cause is believed to be electrical.

Because the house is in a rural area, crews had to haul tankers of water in to extinguish the blaze.

“We had to use all three tankers,” Munson said.

The garage and living area received the most damage, but there was also substantial smoke damage throughout the home, Munson said.

The two-story home is made of cedar, which Munson said burns hot. The Red Cross is assisting the family.

West Salem crews were assisted by the Onalaska Fire Department.

It was the second major fire this week that the West Salem Fire Department has responded to. On Monday night, crews put out a fire after a domestic dispute on Hidden River Road.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.