Owners George and Eva Garvalia, far left, are show with Garvalia China Shop employees, from left, Carol Staples, Mrs. Bert Vincent, Mrs. C.C. Thomas, Mrs. Harold Branch and Milton Blakenship in this 1954 photo. According to the Tribune, the store at 116 Fifth Ave. S., was the first in the city to offer a bridal registry. The Garvalias opened the store in 1947; it closed in 1992. Today, the site is home to Metre, a La Crosse-based advertising agency.