La Crosse firefighters are investigating a small explosion at a South Side apartment building that damaged a water heater and ventilation system early today.
Firefighters were trying to find the source of a reported popping noise in the boiler room at the Wedgewood Commons Apartments, 1935 Miller St., about 2 a.m. when the explosion erupted in the same room, according to the department. No one was injured.
Occupants were evacuated and sheltered in a MTU bus. Authorities cut natural gas to the building.