This first Quillin's grocery store opened in 1945 at 1103 La Crosse St., advertising it "as the store that never ran out of butter." Three years later, the company opened a second store at the corner of Pine Street and West Avenue. Over the years, the Quillin's family acquired and sold a store in Winona, Minn., took over a Kroger store in the Village Shopping center in La Crosse, purchased a store at 1509 West Ave. S. (it closed in 2002), built the Quillin's Foodhouse next to Menards in 1977 on the city's North Side (it closed in 2005) and acquired a store next to La Crosse's Shelby Mall in 1981. The Village Shopping Center and Shelby Mall locations were purchased by Festival Foods in 2011. Both locations were closed, but a new Festival Foods was built on the site in the Village Shopping Center. Today, Quillin's only Wisconsin store is along Interstate 90 in the town of Campbell. The company has expanded into Minnesota, with stores in La Crescent and Caledonia, and into Iowa with locations in Decorah, Waukon, Lansing, Postville, Monona and West Union.