Marked by streetcar tracks and overhead streetcar wires, this circa 1916 photo shows the F.W. Woolworth Co. 5 and 10-Cent Store at 328-330 Main St.
This store, part of a once-popular national retail chain, occupied this location from 1916 to 1936, according to Tribune files. This four-story brick building, then known as the Linker Building, was destroyed by fire in 1961, and today the site is occupied by Howes Diamond Jewelers at 324 Main St.
Also of interest in this photo is the vertical “RUGS” sign on the side of what was then the Tillman Brothers Furniture store at 116 S. Fourth St. This sign is still visible today on what is now the Leithold Music Store building.
Anyone with more information about this photo or wishing to donate photos of the Coulee Region may contact the La Crosse Public Library Archives at 608-789-7136.