The Way it Was: 1937 Isle La Plume

This photo shows a circa 1937 view of the upper end of Isle La Plume, looking north toward an area now occupied by Houska Park. Points of interest in the photo are the old wagon bridge, upper center, and the two buildings in the right foreground, which were occupied by the Isle La Plume Boat Works and the Wisconsin Conservation Commission. In 1939, work began on converting this area into a city park, and 70 years ago, on Oct. 10, 1947, the park was officially named Houska Park in honor of former alderman Joseph Houska, who was instrumental in the park’s development. 

This photo shows a circa 1937 view of the upper end of Isle La Plume, looking north toward an area now occupied by Houska Park. Points of interest in the photo are the old wagon bridge, upper center, and the two buildings in the right foreground, which were occupied by the Isle La Plume Boat Works and the Wisconsin Conservation Commission. In 1939, work began on converting this area into a city park, and 70 years ago, on Oct. 10, 1947, the park was officially named Houska Park in honor of former alderman Joseph Houska, who was instrumental in the park’s development. Anyone with more information about this photo or wishing to donate photos of the Coulee Region may contact the La Crosse Public Library Archives at 608-789-7136

0
0
0
0
0

Emily Pyrek covers human interest stories, local events and anything involving dogs for the La Crosse Tribune. She is always interested in story ideas and can be contacted at emily.pyrek@lee.net.

Load comments