This circa 1894 scene of a small-scale bottling operation at the La Crosse Soda Water Factory and Berlin Weiss Beer Brewery includes two young children who appear to be helping with the process.
The 1890s business was located at 517 S. Third St. and was owned by George Warninger and August Houthmaker. In addition to soda water and Weiss beer, the firm produced ginger ale, mineral water and cider, according to old city directory files. This bottling plant is long gone and its former site is now occupied by Pischke Motors Nissan.
Anyone with more information about this photo or wishing to donate photos of the Coulee Region may contact the La Crosse Public Library Archives at 608-789-7136.