La Crosse’s Main Library building at 800 Main St. is marking its 50th year of operation. Replacing an 1888 building, construction of the library began in April 1966 and was followed by its opening on Oct. 2, 1967.
Shown here is the library’s dedication ceremony on Nov. 5, 1967, with library director Gertrude Thurow speaking before an audience on the main floor of the library. At upper center and is the library’s card catalog files, which served until 1992, when they were replaced by a computerized catalog system.
Anyone with more information about this photo or wishing to donate photos of the Coulee Region may call the La Crosse Public Library Archives at 608-789-7136.