This photo shows an 1887 view of La Crosse's old steamboat landing at the foot of State Street. The immediate river area shown here was dredged in 1911 to create Riverside Park. The boat in the foreground is the Belle of Bellevue, a twin-propeller craft which was known during the 1880s for carrying freight and passengers between La Crosse and Alma, Wis.
The buildings in the distance are grain elevators and a railroad warehouse that were located along the Black River north of the La Crosse River.
Anyone with more information about this photo or wishing to donate photos of the Coulee Region may contact the La Crosse Public Library Archives at 608-789-7136.