UW-L instructor named Professor of the Year

2013-11-14T00:00:00Z 2013-11-14T06:28:06Z UW-L instructor named Professor of the YearBy PATRICK B. ANDERSON | panderson@lacrossetribune.com La Crosse Tribune

Education saved Victor M. Macías-González. Now the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse history professor is being nationally recognized for his own work as an educator.

The 43-year-old has been named Wisconsin Professor of the Year by the Council for Advancement and Support of Education and the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.

The national program honors a small pool of undergraduate instructors who excel at guiding and inspiring students.

Macías-González plans to bring his family to the awards ceremony this week in Washington, D.C.

“It’s a recognition of all the hard work that they did to put me through graduate school, and I want them to enjoy that,” Macías-González said.

Macías-González teaches Latin-American history courses at UW-L and oversees a mentoring program for underprivileged students. He has thrived since joining the university in 2000, championing diversity and helping students finish college and pursue graduate school.

“He’s deeply committed to students,” UW-L Chancellor Joe Gow said. “And teaching them not only in the classroom but also in all facets of campus life.”

Macías-González is the second UW-L professor to win the award in three years. History professor Greg Wegner, who has since retired, was 2011 Wisconsin Professor of the Year.

When it comes to students, Macías-González mixes high expectations with tireless advocacy, co-worker Jessica Thill said.

“Rather than giving students a low grade, he’ll call students and say, ‘Here are the things you need to fix,’” Thill said.

Thill is a coordinator for UW-L’s McNair Scholars program, which prepares low-income and first-generation undergrads for graduate school. Many of Thill’s students come from a mentoring program directed by Macías-González.

Macías-González created the Eagle Mentoring Program about five years ago to help under-represented and at-risk students overcome the “sophomore slump” and continue their education, he said.

The program takes 10 to 12 second-year students a year. Institutional support tends to fall away in the sophomore year, leaving students with a greater chance to get lost or drop out, Macías-González said. Students admitted to his program are assigned a faculty mentor they meet with for an hour each week to learn how to succeed in college.

They’re also encouraged to engage in what Macías-González called “high-impact” learning opportunities, such as studying abroad or doing undergraduate research.

Education is more than a career for Macías-González, who was born in the United States but grew up in Mexico. It’s a source of power, he said.

“For my family, education meant being able to continue the standard of life that we had before we came to this country and taking it higher,” Macías-González said.

His parents fell on hard times after moving to the United States. When it came to their son’s future, higher education “was the way they pointed,” Macías-González said.

Macías-González’s childhood was filled with weekly trips to bookstores. He was about 6 years old when he got the book that sparked his interest in history.

It was a Spanish version of the discovery of the Americas — one of the first books Macías-González remembers owning that wasn’t children’s stories or fairy tales, he said.

“I loved the images,” Macías-González said. “I loved the way in which the book allowed me to travel through time and learn about different cultures.”

He enrolled at the University of Texas at El Paso, but transitioning to college life took time, Macías-González said.

“I was scared of teachers,” Macías-González said. “I thought I was getting in the way, so I never went into see them.”

By his junior year, Macías-González had found his calling. He went on to earn a master’s and doctorate in history from UTEP and Texas Christian University, respectively.

Many of the UW-L students he now helps remind him of his early struggles in college, and he works to help them find similar success.

“I really enjoy my job,” Macías-González said. “What I really like about the campus is being able to contribute to many different programs.”

Copyright 2016 La Crosse Tribune. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(10) Comments

1. Opus
    Opus - November 14, 2013 1:29 pm
    Amen!
  2. ahasp
    ahasp - November 14, 2013 1:17 pm
    It's pathetic that the people of Wisconsin don't value great educators more.
  3. Opus
    Opus - November 14, 2013 1:05 pm
    It is pathetic that one would love their job and take less money than they would get at other universities to stay and teach at the one they love!
  4. ahasp
    ahasp - November 14, 2013 11:15 am
    Last year Dr. Macías-González had a salary of $60,579. That's really pathetic.
  5. logical thinker
    logical thinker - November 14, 2013 10:35 am
    You SHOULD be ashamed! UWL clearly taught you nothing if you choose to fix what you say is a huge problem in our educational system by anonymously complaining on the La Crosse Tribune web site about getting your feelings hurt in one class that you took. I would demand my money back!
  6. Opus
    Opus - November 14, 2013 10:33 am
    Former Student - I'm guessing that in addition to being "ashamed to admit that I am a UWL alumnus" that you are ashamed to admit the truth behind his thinking.

It's not him being "politically correct" it's simply about him being "correct."

The truth about racism is that it is hard to admit too. You might want to take the blinders off and truly reflect on what you were taught and what you fail to realize about yourself and our world.
  7. Pete S
    Pete S - November 14, 2013 12:19 am
    I must very strongly disagree. I had three classes with Macias and found them all to be excellent. Going into my first class with him I was not very interested in Latin American history but his passion and engaging teaching brought me back for two more classes and completely changed my mind about how interesting Latin American history is.
    Macias doesn't require anyone to agree with him, you just need to be able to back your opinions up with good research and strong arguments. UWL is fortunate to have him and I was fortunate to have had him as a professor.
  8. contrarian
    contrarian - November 13, 2013 10:18 pm
    That's ok, former student. We're equally ashamed of you.
  9. DReeder
    DReeder - November 13, 2013 10:18 pm
    Does Macias-Gonzalez push the envelop? You bet. He challenges your thinking and pushes you to ponder your reality rather than walking around blindly accepting life at face value. I'm one of "those white people" and I agree with him on next to nothing politically, but he was hands down the best professor I had at UW-L or UW-Madison. In my years at UW-L nobody pushed me harder than he did to be the best student I could be. Ten years after graduating I still think about the learning lessons he taught me.

10. Former Student
    Former Student - November 13, 2013 9:25 pm
    The fact that this man is still employed, let alone being honored, is an indictment of our entire educational system. Macias Gonzales is a racist and is praised for it by an overly politically correct educational system. He regularly refers to his students as “you white people,” spends the majority of class time enumerating the wrongs that “you white people” have visited on others, and speaks longingly about when Mexico would re-claim the lands the “whites” had stolen at the end of the Mexican American war.

Your tax dollars are paying for this man and others like him to indoctrinate our children, turn them into simpering politically correct idiots, and send them into the workforce with utterly unprepared to participate in a global business environment. I am ashamed to admit that I am a UW-L alumnus.
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick