Two events in La Crosse this month will highlight the effects climate change is having close to home. Both events are free and open to the public.

Larry Sleznikow mug

Larry Sleznikow is a board member of Coulee Partners for Sustainability and co-leader of La Crosse Citizens’ Climate Lobby.

The scientific community is in nearly unanimous agreement that global warming and the resulting changes to our climate are real. It is the position of 97 percent of climate scientists that humans burning fossil fuels since the dawn of the Industrial Age have released large amounts of carbon emissions into the atmosphere trapping the heat from the sun. The annual average global temperature of the Earth has been steadily rising. With increasing temperatures have come a more uncertain climate and more frequent extreme weather events.

Many people understand and accept the scientific consensus about global warming. They are very concerned and want action on climate change solutions. But there are others who doubt that human-caused climate change is real. They are skeptical about the facts, figures and charts put forth by scientists. However, hearing from residents of our region how climate change is affecting them can be very persuasive. Listening to their experiences first-hand makes climate change very personal and credible.

“Stories have power. They delight, enchant, touch, teach, recall, inspire, motivate, challenge. They help us understand. They imprint a picture on our minds,” says author Janet Litherland. “Want to make a point or raise an issue? Tell a story.”

The power of story is the driving motivation for the creation of the Coulee Region Climate Change Stories event happening on Saturday, Feb. 17, at 1 p.m. at the main branch of the La Crosse Public Library. It’s being co-sponsored by the La Crosse Chapter of Citizens’ Climate Lobby, the Coulee Region Sierra Club Group and the La Crosse Public Library. Six residents of the Coulee Region will tell how climate change has impacted their lives. Topics covered will include the flood plain, farming, running, maple syrup production, recreation and the growing season. Those attending will have the opportunity to ask questions and also share their own climate change stories.

So far, this winter has not been kind to cross-country skiers in La Crosse. On Jan. 14-15, the city received six to seven inches of fresh snow. The folks who groom cross-country ski trails on the Forest Hills Public Golf Course sprang into action, working quickly to create and condition the trails for skiers who hoped the weather was finally shining on them. Unfortunately, their window of opportunity was short-lived when warming temperatures and a steady rain quickly erased their efforts.

Having consistent natural snow for downhill and cross-country skiing in January and February used to be almost a given. But not anymore. Throughout the United States and the rest of the world, abundant supplies of snow for winter recreation is becoming increasingly harder to find. This will have a significant economic impact. “Snow-based recreation contributes $67 billion annually and supports over 900,000 jobs in the United States,” according to the National Environmental Education Foundation.

A recent article in the Salt Lake Tribune stated, “Visits are down almost 11 percent to Vail Resorts’ 13 North American ski areas … due to the limited snow so far this winter.” Vail Resorts CEO Rob Katz said that snow conditions have been bleak throughout the western states. He went on to say, “Seasonal snowfall to date in Vail, Beaver Creek and Park City was the lowest level recorded in over 30 years.” Snowfall in Vail’s three California resorts has been “69 percent below the 20-year average.”

I recently had the opportunity to preview “Saving Snow,” a new documentary film that looks at the effect climate change is having on winter sports and recreation across the United States. A screening of “Saving Snow” is coming to La Crosse at 6:30 p.m. Monday, Feb. 26, on the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse campus in 1400 Centennial Hall. After the film, UW-L faculty will lead a discussion about the film.

The 2017 American Birkebeiner ski race in northern Wisconsin is featured in “Saving Snow.” The Birkie is the country’s largest cross-country ski race with more than 11,000 competitors from around the world. In 2017, the race was canceled for only the second time in its 45-year history due to warm temperatures and poor snow conditions. The film also shows the economic and cultural impacts that a lack of snow is having in other parts of the country. Brett Cease, who was registered for last year’s Birkie, brought it home for me near the end of the film. He said, “If we revere, cherish and care for the [winter] traditions we’ve grown up with, we absolutely have to act now.”

Larry Sleznikow is a co-leader for the La Crosse chapter of Citizens’ Climate Lobby.

(96) comments

oldhomey

Just so I am not going to be accused of being a snake trying to slither away from my own mistake, I will publish a truly bone-headed error I made on this string. Mea culpa. I deserve all the scorn that can be mustered for this one. My apologies to ou. My thanks to kingman for correcting me, and my congratulations to Buggs, who gets a good chance to deservedly lord it all over me.

Much as I hate to do this to myself, I will showcase my mistake here:

oldhomey Feb 9, 2018 4:50pm
Wow. Jimmy Carter wasn't elected until 1978, not sworn in until 1979. He must have been one mean operator to gin up a fake oil shortage two years before he took the reins of the government. Was that the stroke that got him elected? I guess as a Democrat I am just to know. Right ou?

oldhomey Feb 9, 2018 9:56pm
I guess as a Democrat that I am just too dumb to know how Jimmy Carter did all of this under our noses is what I meant to say, but I am too dumb to proof read my own posts before sending them. Ah well.

kingman10 Feb 10, 2018 7:19am
just point of order, Carter was elected in 76, sworn in January of '77. However Hoaxer and his memory is totally flawed. the oil shortage started with Nixon and the arab oil embargo. Long lines at the pump and rapidly rising gas prices fueled inflation and stagnated the economy. Remember that Hoaxer?

Buggs Raplin Feb 10, 2018 3:15pm
Oh my God, you've corrected oldhomey. The sanctimonious oldhomey has been corrected by one his disciples. How interesting. Note to Tribune: take this down asap as oldhomey has been caught being stupid.

Buggs Raplin Feb 10, 2018 8:58am
Ahem cough cough. Jimmy Carter was elected in 1976.

oldhomey

Buggs, I noticed that not one single poster, given the chance to comment on your recent, deeply profound letter-to-the-editor when I made it available to them. What a bitter turn of events for the man who is so bitterly and abjectly opposed to the Tribune policy to not allow reader comments after the letters. Is their silence a message to you? Is the WHOLE WORLD out to get Buggs Raplin? In the interest of mitigating such a harsh conclusion, I will give readers here one more chance to respond to your profundities. Here is Buggs' recent letter again:

I am generally a very happy camper, comfortably retired and appreciative of the many good things in my life.

I do, however, have a major gripe that I think many people may have also — celebrities. I am sick and tired of them. I am weary of the Kardashians, Jay Z, Eminem, Beyoncé, Lady Gaga, Alec Baldwin, the entire cast of "Saturday Night Live" and a host of others.

I am nauseated by their petty squabbles as they criticize each other. And I am fed up with their awards shows: the Grammys, the Oscars, and it seems every other month or so, the Country Music affairs. I could care less about the red carpet and the fashion hits or misses.

I am saddened by the prejudicial slant of the late-night talk shows spewing their venom on President Donald Trump while letting the biggest political failure of all time, Hillary Clinton, get away untarnished.

It's just too bad that all those celebrities who said they'd leave the country if Trump was elected are still here. Somehow, I think we could have survived just fine without them.

Buggs Raplin

Check the emoticons. 15-1 in favor.

kingman10

Dah...if you don't like what the late night shows or award shows are saying about your dear leader, how about not watching them. I bet your remote has some buttons on it that will change the channel or even turn your tv off. If you can't stand people exercising their first amendment rights you can always move to North Korea or russia. I do wish all those conservatives that said they would leave the country if Obama or billy Clinton was elected would do so. I think we could have survived just fine without them.

Buggs Raplin

I don't watch them. Not a bit. I'm just exposed to the bullsh*t by MSN when I turn on my computer.

oldhomey

Gosh, Buggs, I have absolutely no trouble at all avoiding the so-called alt-right media that has grown by leaps and bounds and dominates the Internet reading by tens of millions. You are probably far more computer literate than I am, so I can't imagine how you would have trouble avoiding the MSM online. Unless, of course, you dip into it frequently because it is the only place you can find reliably sourced news. Certainly you can't find reliably sourced news in the alt-right media, and you prove that every time you cite it in your posts. But I DO bow down in front of your 15 to 1 emoticon approval on your letter to the editor. Did you leave and reopen the letter each time that you sent in an approving emoticon? I love them, because they are SUCH a nuanced way of communicating one's thoughts.

oldhomey

Buggs, I don't want to deny you the opportunity to read something that you probably should consider just because it is followed only by a "Report" option. Besides, I am sure you will be MOST eager to respond to it once you have read it. Here is the exchange:

Buggs Raplin Feb 7, 2018 6:40am

I remember getting a call from the late Rafique Ahmed shortly after one of my letters to the editor on the global warming hoax was published. Dr. Ahmed said he had a doctorate in climatology from Ohio State, and had recently retired after 30 years teaching at UW-La Crosse. He was an honored professor, generally liked by his students in their reviews. He told me he did not believe in human-caused global warming. He spoke especially of the mini-ice age period when the river Thames had frozen over. That period of history was, of course, left out in Michael Mann's infamous hockey stick graph used by Al Gore in his flawed documentary. Other prominent disbelievers in the hoax are the late co-founder of the Weather Channel, John Coleman, and Nobel Prize winner in Physics, I. Giaever. There are an increasing number of scholars these days speaking out against the hoax. The 97% thing is the biggest lie since WMD in Iraq.-Chip DeNure aka Buggs Raplin
oldhomey Feb 7, 2018 11:05pm

Yes, I remember Dr. Ahmed, who apparently never did any actual research related to global warming and clammed up when he was asked to provide any science that he knew of that could refute what 97 percent of actual climate scientists are saying. If he is still around, this is an invitation to step forward and prove them wrong. That would really buck up your flagging certitudes, right, Buggs. And providing us with the names of prominent climate change deniers like John Coleman and Ivar Giaever is like saying Dolly Parton and Dr. Phil are prominent believers in the theory of Clovis people being the original human settlers of the Americas. Parton and Dr. Phil are even more prominent than Coleman and Giaever, but so what? They are not anthropologists or archeologists, so their opinion is theirs to believe but has no bearing on reality. Coleman and Giaever are not climate researchers, they have no expertise in climatology, and their opinions are no more or less important or informed than any other average Joe Blow on the street. In fact, Giaever has less contact with climate science than the late Coleman, who was a happy talk television weatherman who, indeed, was a co-founder of the Weather Channel. What does that have to do with climate change? And he had to return to happy talk television weather reporting a year after Weather Channel was founded as his co-founders found him unsuited to the task and dumped him.

Buggs Raplin

Dr. Ahmed passed away shortly after our meeting. As I said, he had a doctorate in climatology from Ohio State, and taught at UW-L for 30 years. He was honored by Joe Gow. Your 'research' notion is absurd, because all of the 'research' has not revealed any evidence whatsoever that humans have the ability to change the climate.

kingman10

I must say homey, you do a fine job of revealing the truth behind buggs and his crazy arguments. You can always tell when buggs is cornered, the excuse of "there is only a report button" is a tell tale sign buggs was caught in his own lies.

Buggs Raplin

Dilly dilly. I always respond to oldhomey when there's an add reply.

oldhomey

No you don't "always" respond when there is a "Reply" option under my posts concerning you and your lies, Buggs. Sometimes you DO post something, but it is always a dodge, not an informed reponse. For example, to tell us us that "research" has not revealed any evidence whatsoever that humans affect climate change means nothing. You have to offer up at least a modicum of evidence to back that assertion. Often, however, you do not answer them at all, preferring to hide in the weeds. Since you take this position that you have at your 3:11pm post, I will in the future make doubly sure that you have failed to respond. Is that fair enough for you, my friend?

Buggs Raplin

Chicago expecting 13 to 17 inches of snow this weekend. How can this be?

Buggs Raplin

The weather forecast just listed at the Tribune-cold, up to a foot of snow in some parts. How can this be? The world is burning up according to 97% of scientists, and snow is a thing of the past, according to many of those same scientists. It's seems Mr. Sleznikow is aligned with that belief on the scarcity of snow. It's not happening in most of the country, Larry. Oh, my God, the absolute stupidity of these religionists given so much space by the thoroughly dishonest La Crosse Tribune to preach their gospel. What an embarrassment to journalism,-35 op ed columns to the hoax in the last few years, and one against it. Larry, and all your fellow columnists on this issue, you've been discredited by the climate. Your fear-based religion is in tatters. Go save your credibility; the earth is just fine.

Buggs Raplin

The Tribune just took down the story on the oncoming cold and snow after I commented on it.

oldhomey

Yes, Buggs, the editors of the La Crosse Tribune have been under orders by the CIA and other Deep State officials (whose identities cannot be revealed under penalty of death) to monitor carefully what you post. It is because of what you say -- the gosh awful truth, by golly -- that might catch fire and illuminate what is REALLY going on to the masses of pacified, gullible American voters. You are a very, very dangerous man to the elites, who with every passing year get closer to a One World Communist nation in which guns, marijuana and free speech will be outlawed in order to impose a carbon tax on everybody. Oh, and they don't want people to have fun, either. So you threaten their position and their agenda, and THAT is why the Tribune took down that weather forecast, after you pointed it out.

And by the way, Buggs, I shouldn't be telling you this, but I happen to know from my CIA handlers that there is a small group in NASA who admire you very much and are considering a whistle blower action on the agency. They would like to save NASA and the taxpayers billions of dollars in research money by setting up a climate observatory in your backyard, because your climate observations have been SO accurate -- far more than any scientist's. Fat chance. I will see to it that that the little cabal is silenced before it is able to go public. BWAH-HA-HA!

Dilly dilly

oldhomey

Of course dilly dilly, Buggs. We know that when you are forced to stare truth in the face, you simply consult your own brain to fabricate your own version of the truth. Dilly dilly, indeed.

oldhomey

I DIRECTED the Tribune to not publish that weather report, as it could be "mis-understood" by some people. My God! Heads will roll for this insubordination! Buggs Raplin, for one, will call it to the attention of the public that a Midwestern American winter storm totally negates whatever else is going on worldwide. How could others, especially scientists, be so gullible???? I say it can't come soon enough for NASA to install that weather observatory in Buggs' backyard.

Buggs Raplin

I hear it's pretty cold in South Korea...

kingman10

just so that observatory doesn't block buggsy's view of the house across the allay where Hillary resides. He does a fine job of updating us all on what she has been up to.

ou812

Dumbocraps tend to Overreact to certain situations such as the Jimmy Carter oil shortage in 1977 that was a complete FARCE. I THINK CLIMATE CHANGE IS ANOTHER DUMBOCRAP HOAX!!!!!!

kingman10

Buggs Raplin

Ahem cough cough. Jimmy Carter was elected in 1976.

Buggs Raplin

I have just two words for all the religionists posing as 'scientific backers' of the global warming hoax: Dilly Dilly!

oldhomey

Buggs, you are slave to Madison Avenue, jumping on the wagon of Budweiser Super Bowl commercials. Actually, there is a song that uses that inane phrase that is many decades old, and one verse of it describes perfectly how you inform yourself on current events and issues of importance before exposing you ignorance for all to see on these posts:

Who told me so, dilly, dilly
Who told me so
I told myself, dilly, dilly
I told me so

Buggs Raplin

Was that a Lennon/McCartney tune?

oldhomey

No, Buggs, I think it goes back to the 1940s at least. I don't know the composer or the lyricist, but it was performed by Burl Ives. You should have a "+Add Reply" option. Do you find the Beatles music to be sacred? Does their music sing to you the psalms of faith that all history is one gigantic, evil conspiracy, necessitating all human beings to arm themselves against the CDC and other predatory killers lurking amongst us? Including that unnamed terrorist who blasted out the front of the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas in some magical effort that left no damage or evidence of it ever happening other than a crazed woman wandering down a hotel corridor taking a selfie while she chattered nonsense? My guess is that you most love and cherish "Yellow Submarine" like your Christian cousins cherish "Jesus Loves Me".

Buggs Raplin

Burl Ives? Very cool guy. Great actor and singer. I hear Big Rock Candy Mountain was a Lennon/McCartney tune.

oldhomey

I see you chose to end your pointless posting by not providing a reply option, Buggs. Or am I mistaken? Did you make a point that went over my head? Beats me.

Buggs Raplin

Headline in today's Tribune: More cold, snow on the way.

Redwall

Is climate change real?
If climate change is real, is it caused by humans?
If climate change is real and caused by humans, is it a bad thing?
If climate chane is real, caused by humans, and a bad thing, can humans mitigate it?

Mr. Sleznikow's article is ridiculous. It invokes the hackneyed "97% of climate scientists..." and then falls off a cliff offering no evidence, no cause and effect, no intellectual substance, and most obviously, no remedy.

oldhomey

Yes, Redwall, climate change is real. There are many decades of scientific studies and reports of those studies amounting to millions of pages fro you to peruse, and it will assure you that climate change is real.

Is it a bad thing? Yes, Redwall, it is a bad thing. We are already seeing low-lying coastal areas, notably large cities like Houston, regularly being inundated by flood waters aided by rising sea levels and changing weather patterns. It is even more evident in low-lying Pacific island nations, but you don't care about them because they are poor and brown skinned and, what the heck, their troubles hardly ever make it on to Fox News. Still, we have been having far more extremely violent storms in this country than in the past, particularly hurricanes, but also more and more prolonged droughts, bringing with them more and larger wild fires and subsequent mud slides. Also, the warming trends are altering growing zones and growing seasons in this country, which probably is not a good thing, either.

Yes, the scientific evidence (see above) shows that climate change is linked to human behavior, namely the extraordinary upsurge in burning fossil fuels with the advent of the industrial age. And, while it won't be easy or fast, we CAN mitigate for this by developing more energy efficient machinery and developing alternative energy sources so that we no longer have to rely on polluting fossil fuels. It may take a hundred years or more, but, what the heck, the future of humanity on Earth is probably worth the effort.

Your statement that there is no evidence of this belies your apparent lack of interest in the subject overall. Your name is not one most of us on here would associate with "intellectual substance".

Buggs Raplin

There is no evidence humans have the ability to cause climate change. None. Zip. Nada. It's a faith-based hoax.

PhysicsIsFun

Here's your e licence. I know it's not Scott Adams. It actually comes from scientific research. http://www.skepticalscience.com/empirical-evidence-for-global-warming.htm

PhysicsIsFun

I am not a professional in the area of climate science. I do have a graduate degree in physics and have studied physics for 50 years. Since my first physics class a Lacrosse State University in 1967. Therefore, I feel I just have a little more credibility in this area than the sceptics on here. I suggest that if you are really interested in learning about this you go to the following website; https://skepticalscience.com/. The arguments that are stated here by deniers are refutes there with evidence and links. It is a well written and well researched site. It is alarming to continually read the garbage posted on here by local uninformed and uneducated but jobs. Anybody can easily state an unsupported and ridiculous statement. In science we demand evidence followed by well thought out and defensible conclusions. Climate change deniers have none of that. They are ridulous hacks. I know that no amount of data or analysis will convince them. When everything is a plot, then nothing but things that fit your world view seem real.

PhysicsIsFun

oldhomey

I am going to try to do a few favors for my good friend Buggs Raplin here tonight. The first will be my effort to cut and paste a letter to the editor he had published in the Tribune a day or so ago. I know he bitterly resents the Tribune denying readers the chance to comment on letters to the editor, so I am doing this in hopes others may now comment on it, as I will. I also want to use this as a lesson for him, to demonstrate when the comments end up having only a "Report" option under them, so that his conspiracy-wracked brain can be at rest, knowing that it is not a plot against him perpetrated by the La Crosse Tribune.

First, Buggs' recent letter to the editor:

oldhomey

Okay, Buggs, you will notice my original, 12:09am post had both the "Report" and the "+Add Reply" options under it. I predict that this one, generated when I hit the reply button, will also have both options underneath it.

That said, I would like to comment on your letter I certainly share your complete boredom with the news of activities of he Kardashians, Jay Z, Eminem, Beyoncé and Lady Gaga. In fact, I avoid the boredom by refusing to read anything about them or watching anything on television about them, though I DO listen to Gaga sing. She is a sensational talent. Ditto for those endless award shows. I simply don't watch them, nor do I read about or listen to the endless krappola in the media speculating about who will win them. Bingo. I am not bored by it because I ignore it. Try that instead of bellyaching about it. It works.

As for Alec Baldwin and the cast of Saturday Night Live, I don't follow news about them much, as I am not interested. But I put them in the same category of the late-night talk shows, and I DO pay attention to them vis a vis Donald Trump. President Donald Trump is daily spewing unprecedented venom on much of our society and the rest of the world. While it might take some time for that to catch up to him politically, it WILL catch up to him. Meanwhile, I am glad Baldwin, SNL and the late night talk shows are there to call Trump on his unconscionable behavior. He needs to be held to account for it immediately, and doing it with brilliant satire, making him look like the fool that he most assuredly is, is a delight and a comfort to me and millions upon millions of people. Don't begrudge us for that. And, by the way, they most certainly have made mince meat out of Hillary Clinton, too, just not lately, because she no longer matters politically, though I guess you have not yet got that memo.

As for all the celebrities who said they would leave the U.S. if Trump was elected, I would be fine, too, with them leaving. That was a stupid thing to say, so they deserve the ridicule. And speaking of people saying stupid things, you often take the cake in that regard on these posts, so you would have had to have moved decades ago, if that were the punishment for saying stupid things publicly.

Now see if both the "Report" and "+Add Reply" options appear under here.

oldhomey

Well, Voila! There it was, Buggs. Both the "Report" and "+Add Reply" options appeared under the original 12:09am post and the 12:35am reply that I posted. Now, I predict, this post, too, will be followed by both "Report" and "+Add Reply" options. But this will be the last time. The Tribune system seems to be set up to place "Report" and "+Add Reply" options after only the original comment and the reply to the original, then the reply to the first reply. Then, after that, it offers only a "Report" option, but you can still comment simply by hitting the last "+Add Reply".

oldhomey

So there you have it, Buggs. I have run the course for generating both "Report" and "+Add Reply" options under a post. I will now hit the reply option, and the next post from me will have only the "Report" option under it. When you see it, you should be able to sleep at night, knowing there is no Tribune conspiracy out to get you. I say "should", knowing that you are too far gone, and all of this is for naught, but at least I made the effort on your behalf.

oldhomey

There it is Buggsy. I had some other nagging chores to complete tonight, so I stayed up extra late and figured it would be a good time to teach you this lesson. By the way, I know you have known this all along, but you see I was able to respond to my 1:52am post simply by hitting the Reply button to the one above it, the 1:06am post. No more excuses for hiding now. And now you know how the Tribune reply system operates, so you don't have to be suspicious or pretend to be suspicious of the "Report" only option. Good night, sweet prince.

Buggs Raplin

There should be add reply after every comment. I will continue not reading your stuff if it is followed by 'Report.'

oldhomey

Buggs, why do so many of your posts only have the "Report" option under it? Are you in cahoots with Tribune management, a nefarious group that people are saying are out to get me? Oh, wait a minute! I know why, and I just explained it! But, since you forswear reading anything that has only a "Report" option under it after it has shown up your lies, perhaps the Tribune IS in cahoots with you! I wonder if the the newspaper is out to get me? What do you think, Buggs? You're the conspiracy expert.

oldhomey

Two more things, Buggs. It appears that you actually read and responded to my 2:16am post (uff dah! the time embarrasses me!). So you CAN do it when you put your mind to it. Also, you haven't responded to my comments on your recent letter to the editor. I thought you might thank me for my advice on how you can avoid having to think about the Kardashians.

Buggs Raplin

Yes, it's too bad one can't comment on letters anymore. To my knowledge there was no explanation from Rusty for this. It's a shame. The Tribune is less interesting now.

oldhomey

Buggs, I noticed that not one single poster, given the chance to comment on your recent, deeply profound letter-to-the-editor when I made it available to them. What a bitter turn of events for the man who is so bitterly and abjectly opposed to the Tribune policy to not allow reader comments after the letters. Is their silence a message to you? I the WHOLE WORLD out to get Buggs Raplin? In the interest of mitigating such a harsh conclusion, I will give readers here one more chance to respond to your profundities. Here is Buggs' recent letter again:

Climatehoax

The media portrays climate scientists as having delivered a final verdict on global warming.

They haven't.

There remain some holdouts who say this consensus is little more than conformity to a politically correct idea.

Buggs Raplin

So many 'Reports' following oldhomey's 2/5/18 comments; he's obviously a Tribune employee, afraid to reveal himself.-Chip DeNure aka Buggs Raplin

mocha1

Yep, next thing we should just cancel Winter Olympics, why even bother, our kids may never see snow. How many of the climate alarmists predictions have to be proven false before people realize while the climate may be changing , as it has for the last 5billion years, these alarmists have politicized climate change to meet their ideology. I booked a cruise for a water passage to the North Pole for this year to see all the drowning polar bears, just got notice cruise is cancelled because contrary to global warmest predictions the polar ice cap is still there. And we have record numbers of polar bears.

johnnybragatti

Time is right to use your real name : Mr MaNure...
middle name : "Runoff".
Let"s be honest.(for a change).
Pretty please?

PhysicsIsFun

Don't do it. It's not worth it. You can not debate people who have magical thinking......

Rick Czeczok

Gosh I sure hope Al Gore can fly in on his private jet for this.

johnnybragatti

If you repeat a lie long enough, Buggs Manure will believe,
regardless of coherence(he just learned that word?).
Proof positive...: ya"ll can"t fix stupid or dementia ,
in someone like a geezer called : "maNure"....It ain"t possible.

Buggs Raplin

Keep tryin' johnny; we're rooting for you to say something intelligent

Dear Rusty Cunningham,
As editor of the Tribune, you have by my count published some 35 guest editorials in favor of human-caused global warming, and one guest editorial against it. Such 'balance' condemns the Tribune to nothing more than a propaganda enterprise for an unproven theory, whose goal is a carbon tax. This recent effort by Larry is pathetic. Just absolutely pathetic. I tear his column to pieces below in my comments. Rusty, let me have a guest column in the interest of balanced journalism, so far lacking in your newspaper. You know how to get in touch with me. I await your communication.-Chip DeNure aka Buggs Raplin

Dear Buggs Raplin,
If your count of guest columns is correct, 35 writers accepting scientific evidence of human caused global warming for each one not accepting it, it would seem to be a fairly accurate representation of both scientific and public community acceptance of the science. So it is rather baffling that you are complaining that you have an argument here. Given your baffling reasoning, it certainly also calls into question yur opinion that this columnist's opinion is "pathetic". You seem to man who spends a lot of time in front of your own mirror. Perhaps that word would better be matched with your own image.

Buggs Raplin

Well, the lack of any balance on this issue is another example of Rusty determining an issue has been settled. He did the same thing with the MMR vaccine by censoring one of my letters to the editor on the subject. Yes, I know he has every right to do so, but such an attitude is contrary to journalism. Hence my conclusion that the Tribune is just part of a thoroughly dishonest propaganda system known as the mainstream media.

oldhomey

If you represent three percent of public thinking and you get your opinion made public through three percent of the guest columns in the Tribune, you have been represented in a fair and balanced manner.

kingman10

this topic often gets buggs and hoaxer foaming at the mouth, desperately trying to convince people of their arguments by bringing up the name of Al Gore or scaring people with this carbon tax (even though they don't have a clue what that is). But one thing is for sure we can always count on buggs knowledge about carbon and how harmless it is, and what the weather is like out his window. With that how can he be wrong? And his tag along hoaxer, well what can you say but stupid is as stupid does.

random annoying bozo

carbon is harmless, carbon is all around us, even inside of us, all life on the planet revolves around carbon, as all life is carbon based....to vilify a basic building block of life, which the religious fanatics of Gaia, a pagan religion, worship do is ludicrous....to the left it seems the answer to everything is simple, more taxation...a simple solution for simple minds.

oldhomey

We certainly have been missing your invaluable input for some time now, bozo. You haven't missed a beat, I see. You are every bit as much the bozo that you were before you went missing.

Buggs Raplin

Criticism from a dishonest person like oldhomey is a compliment.

oldhomey

Why do so many of your comments only have a "Report" option under them, Buggs? Are you giving the Tribune money under the table so that it will accord you this special privilege, allowing you -- in your mind only -- safety from being answered? Glad to see you rush to the defense of bozo, however, a man who makes at least as much sense as you do in these strings.

PhysicsIsFun

Carbon is not the problem bozo. The problem is CO2 in the atmosphere, and not CO2 in general, because as anyone knows CO2 is essential for photosynthesis, but the fact that it is increasing. You do know that CO2 makes the atmosphere less transparent to terrestrial infrared radiation right? You do know that since this electromagnetic radiation is then not released to space it heats our atmosphere right? You do know that this then causes global warming right. You do know that this causes all sorts of changes in the climate. Many of them not obvious, but they are well studied by people who are experts in this field. I am sure you have spent a lot of time researching all the myriad results of scientific research in this area and can refute them with evidence that you have collected in your own research, or are you just a know nothing gas bag who writes idiotic and unsubstantiated garbage on the internet. It is obviously that latter.

random annoying bozo

well maybe you should have a talk with 'kingman' he is the one who said 'carbon.

and remember in every field, even scientific research fields, there are just as many people in the bottom half of the profession as the top half. just something to consider, when you laud scientists 'efforts'.

PhysicsIsFun

Kingman didn't write the comment you did. So some scientists are "better" than others. So what. They are all scientists . That means they base their conclusions on evidence. Plus tjey study their subject for years. Tjey collanonorate with others. They critique each others' work. How many scientific conferences have you been to? They don't just pull garbage off the internet like you, Buggs and the rest of the no minds on here do.

random annoying bozo

ok, give me one piece of scientifically repeatable and duplicatable 'evidence, not generated by a computer program?

and I was responding to kingmans 'carbon' comment, which you were well aware of....and why is it called a 'carbon tax' and not a carbon dioxide tax?

PhysicsIsFun

I don't know why they call it a carbon tax. They did not consult with me on the naming of the tax. If they had asked me I would have suggested CO2 Tax. I think it is a poor name. As I have said, carbon is not the problem. CO2 is the problem.

Climatehoax

Since you are so concerned about this perceived problem, I haven’t seen a list of things you’re doing to stop climate change. It appears your putting a lot of hot air into the atmosphere with your blather. By the way, every time you use your computer, you’re burning coal.

oldhomey

Yes, you may well be right, Climate, which is tragic when we have cheap alternatives to coal already. The difference between you and me is that I am supporting efforts and public figures who are working to transition society from expensive and wasteful and dangerous fossil fuels to safer alternative energy sources. That is how I perceive the problem, Amigo. Comprende?

Climatehoax

Old homey, I assume by supporting public figures who are transitioning society to alternative energy you mean politicians who fly their private fossil fuel burning jets to get around, the same as movie stars and athletes. Remember back a little while ago Odummy burned 7000 gallons of jet fuel flying around the country giving speeches to cut back on fossil fuel use. You are apparently gullible enough to swallow that BS hook line and sinker, but I’ll keep seeing through these charlatans.

oldhomey

Gosh, the acuity of your vision both physically and spiritually is legendary, Climate.

Buggs Raplin

Carbon dioxide levels have risen just slightly. The hoaxers are scapegoating them in their effort for a carbon tax.

oldhomey

You call a 36 percent rise a "slight" rise, Buggs? Is that how you load your martinis with gin and vodka, too? And instead of pouring yourself a 12 ounce martini, you make it 16 ounces, because it is only "slightly" larger? Do you measure out your doobies with the same reckless abandon when you roll them?

oldhomey

Buggs? You have the "Reply" option. Why not give it a go?

oldhomey

Another case of Buggs hiding in the weeds.

random annoying bozo

what is the total number of 'scientists' in the world?

without knowing that, and without asking all of them, it is impossible to know what % of 'scientists' believe in global warming... without factual numbers, the 97% is just a made up number.

PhysicsIsFun

Here read this and get back to me. https://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus.htm

Clarification

I tire of local "celebrities" who hog forum space to feed their own egos and then write letters to the editor complaining how sick they are of celebrities and their petty squabbles.

[offtopic]

oldhomey

Buggs read Clari's 8:57am post, glanced into his mirror and blanched in self-recognition. Having nothing to say in his own defense, he relied on an emoticon as his comeback.

Buggs Raplin

I have more mirrors than the palace at Versailles, but I never blanch before them. I gaze at them lovingly.

oldhomey

Why do most of your responses to me only have a "Report" option under them, Buggs? But of course we know how you must look upon yourself in your mirrors at home. It is reflected in all that you write, too.

Climatehoax

One of the main reasons you can tell that global warming is a hoax is that the main purveyors of global warming live lifestyles opposite of what they preach, they all own multiple large homes and yachts and they fly around the world in private jets pushing their propaganda. Not to mention some people such as Al Gore actually profit from Carbon Taxes and other green energy laws. If they actually believed what they preached they would be leading quite different lives.

Buggs Raplin

If you do a google for a 10 minute video by Mike Adams on 'Carbon Dioxide is Not a Pollutant' you'll be able see the deceptive graph the hoaxers are using to inflate a small increase of carbon dioxide levels into a horrific level to try to scare the public. Hoaxers have manipulated or omitted data to the point that they have turned science into junk science, or better yet, a religion. In religions, you have faith without evidence. Same thing with the global warming hoax.

Buggs Raplin

If you want to get an honest representation of how our climate is affecting people, just ask the residents of this region, especially the farmers. I don't think you'll find many complaints. But what Larry is doing is cherry picking a few people with complaints trying to make the case for his unproven thesis.

Buggs Raplin

Larry states some areas in the country haven't had much snow this winter, but he omits the fact that other parts of the country have been pounded with plenty of snow. Applying logic, this fact totally destroys his contention that global warming is resulting in less snow. If it was doing that, all parts of the country would be seeing less slow.

Buggs Raplin

I guess if you repeat a lie often enough, some people will believe it. Larry, there is no such thing as a 97% consensus. It's a lie and you discredit yourself by repeating it.-Chip DeNure aka Buggs Raplin

kingman10

I guess if you repeat a lie often enough" That sure is buggsy way of arguing, repeating the lies of Michael Adams and other wacko web sites he deems to be legitimate.

Buggs Raplin

So..what lies were in the Mike Adams video? Please tell me, what were the lies.

oldhomey

Buggs, Mike Adams has lied so much on so many conspiracy theories that there is a mini-online industry out there discrediting everything he says. You can look it up.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

We hope you have enjoyed your complimentary access for the month.

Now it's time to activate or sign up for unlimited access!

Thank you for signing up!

We have not been able to find your subscription.

Current Subscriber?

Current Subscriber?

Or

Don't have a subscription?