Why are we talking about arming teachers to resolve the problem of school shootings?
Guns in this country is an argument to be decided in its own time. I am a retired teacher, and arming teachers is an outrageous answer to the problem.
If the NRA or government wants a compromise for the anger in this country they need to consider the following:
- Purchase metal detectors for the main entrance of every school.
- Purchase cameras for every exit door (inside and out) of the school building.
- Purchase buzzers for every exit door that will buzz when someone leaves the building (or holds the door open).
- Hire security guards to watch the cameras the entire time the school is open.
- Hire security guards who will handle any situation when it arises.
- Make sure the security guards are professionally trained.
This would be a beginning. We are not living on a movie set where a teacher with a few hours of training will be able to do what a police officer or veteran could do after a career of training.
If a teacher were armed, they probably would use the gun to save the children in their vicinity. They probably would not hunt down the shooter in the building.
Rebecca Krieger, Bangor