The Tomah School Board will decide whether to enter a boys hockey co-op with Sparta during its regular monthly meeting Monday, Dec. 18 at Robert Kupper Learning Center.
The regular meeting starts at 7:30 p.m. It will be preceded by a 7 p.m. public hearing to seek a waiver from a state mandate that prohibits public school districts from starting classes prior to Sept. 1. The district is seeking a waiver to allow classes for the 2018-19 school year to being Aug. 22.
The board is likely to approve the hockey co-op based on declining numbers at each school. Tomah's roster has 22 skaters and just three freshmen. It doesn't have enough players to field a junior varsity roster this year. Sparta has just 14 players on its roster.
The co-op would start in the 2018-19 season.
Other agenda items include:
- Review of the five-year budget forecasts and area tax levy comparisons.
- Discussion of Jan. 15 collaboration/training day activities.
- Presentation of school improvement plans.
- Annual reports on bullying and nondiscrimination.
- Review of resolutions for the January Wisconsin Association of School Boards convention.
- Review of changes to the employee handbook.
- Approval of audit report.
- Modifications of board polices on suspension and expulsion.
The board's Finance Committee will meet at 6 p.m.