Villa St. Joseph is a skilled-care retirement home for members of the La Crosse-based Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration. The facility is on St. Joseph Ridge on Hwy. 33, about 10 miles east of La Crosse. The buildings, and the lands surrounding them, are closed to the public.
The FSPAs orginally bought the property as a farm to produce food for nuns at St. Rose Convent and patients and staff at St. Francis Hospital. The Villa St. Joseph convent was dedicated in 1898. The present-day structure has three wings.
About the series: This summer, the La Crosse Tribune will take readers inside places across the region where they may not otherwise be able to go.