Makes: 15 / Prep time: 25 minutes / Total time: 45 minutes
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 sprigs plus 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 15 slider buns, halved
- 1 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
- 15 slices provolone cheese
- 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add onion and thyme sprigs and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until caramelized, about 15 minutes. Discard thyme.
Place bottom halves of slider buns in a large baking dish or sided baking sheet. Top each one with 1 folded slice of roast beef. Add the cheese slices to cover the beef. Sprinkle with the caramelized onions. Top with the bun tops.
In a small sauce pan, melt 2 tablespoons butter and brush on top of buns. Sprinkle them with garlic powder, coarse salt and parsley. Bake until the cheese is melted and sliders are heated through, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the jus. In the skillet used for cooking the onions, add the remaining 1 tablespoon butter and melt over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Do not allow garlic to brown. Stir in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and remaining 1/4 teaspoon thyme; season with salt and pepper. Simmer until slightly reduced, about 10 minutes. Serve sliders with jus for dipping.
Adapted from www.pinterest.com.
Tested by Susan Selasky for the Free Press Test Kitchen.