(A-C) 42 places of the past: An alphabetical look at La Crosse area history Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018 2 The Tribune is taking an A-to-Z look at La Crosse area history.For a link to past installments, click here. A G Cooperative In this 1976 file photo, employees at A G Cooperative in Arcadia work on a production line. The company was acquired by Gold'n Plump in 1993 and continues to be one of Trempealeau County's largest employers. Tribune file photo Ace Telephone Association In this 1972 photo, La Crescent Mayor Martin Miller, seated, was joined by Ace managers David Schroeder, left, and Curtis E. Bratager to demonstrate the telephone company's new equipment that provided free "direct distance dialing" between La Crescent and La Crosse. Ace was later renamed AcenTek, and today is based in Houston, Minn. Tribune file photo Allen's department store Allen's department store opened in June 1981 inside the former J.C. Penney store in downtown La Crosse. The two-story retailer, which featured clothing and a tea room, was operated by Allen Baker, who at the time operated a department store in Winona, Minn., and card shops in Wisconsin and Minnesota. The short-lived store closed in the fall of 1982. Tribune file photo Alley Kat The Alley Kat, an adult bookstore, was located 407 S. Third St. In 1978, La Crosse had three such stores — Best Buy Books was located at 2316 S. Third St. and Pure Pleasure Book Store at 611 Main St. — and the owners of these establishments were opposed to a referendum approved in 1978 that banned the distribution of pornography in the city. Allis Chalmers In February 1969, Allis Chalmers announced it would shutter its plant in La Crosse. There were 375 employees working at the tractor manufacturer at the time of the closure. The buildings, located in the 500 block of North Third Street, were razed in late 1970 and early 1971. Today this site, just north of the La Crosse Tribune building, is a parking lot. Tribune file photo Amtrak This train, which arrived in La Crosse at 3:45 p.m. May 1, 1971, was the first Amtrak train to come to the city. During the five-minute stop, City Council President Loren Wardwell, center, talks with Milwaukee Road passenger agent Frank Daley, left, and La Crosse Tribune assistant district sales manager Gordon T. Sims. Amtrak continues to service the La Crosse area, with two stops of the Empire Builder scheduled daily. Tribune file photo Ardie's Restaurant In this 1981 photo, 17-year-old Linda Craig, left, and her sister, 18-year-old Judy Craig, work in the kitchen at Ardie's Restaurant, 514 Lang Drive. Many members of the Craig family worked at the North Side restaurant, which today is located at 400 Lang Drive. Tribune file photo Arenz Shoe Co. Arenz Shoe Co., which was located at 323-325 Pearl St., was open from 1903 to 1992. Today the location is home to Pearl Street Books, which uses many of wooden shelves seen in this 1977 photo. Tribune file photo Ashley Furniture In this 1985 file photo, Cleo Lisowski, left, and Karen Solberg assemble furniture at the Ashley Furniture factory in Arcadia. The Wisconsin-based company, which was established in 1945, is now the largest manufacturer of furniture in the world. Tribune file photo Auto-Lite Before closing in the late 1960s, the La Crosse Electric Auto-Lite plant was one of the city's largest employers. The 520,000-square-foot complex, shown here in a 1974 file photo, spans more than a city block along Rose and Gillette streets and is now home to Central States Warehouse. Tribune file photo Barney's Cheese Factory Gerald Barney stands by a vat of cheese curds in his factory in this 1983 photo. The facility, which Gerald owned with his wife, Muriel, was located along Hwy. 56, between Viola and Richland Center. Tribune file photo Bartl Brewery Bartl Brewery, located near the corner of La Crosse Street and Lang Drive, was torn down in October 1971 to make room for a gas station. The brewery was founded in 1904 by Austrian native Frank Bartl and his sons, Joseph and Frank. Tribune file photo Baus Catering Service Jim Baus, second from right, helps his staff prepare and serve dinner in 1982 for a convention at the La Crosse Center. Jim and his wife, Karen, opened the business in 1973 at 1720 George St. Tribune file photo 1971: Behind the Brewery Gallery Betty and Dale Kendrick prepare to open their Behind the Brewery Gallery in June 1971. The Kendricks operated the gallery, located at 1026 S. Front St., for more than 40 years. James Cherf purchased the building and reopened it as an art gallery in 2012. The building was torn down in 2018. Tribune file photo 1962: Bell Discount Store Employees of Bell Discount Store make last-minute preparations for its opening in August 1962. The 60,000 square-foot discount store employed 180 full-time employees when it opened at 322 Causeway Blvd. The store, later renamed Belsoct, closed in 1978. The site is now occupied by S&S Cycle. Tribune file photo 1976: Ben Franklin A natural gas explosion destroyed the Ben Franklin store at 1201 Caledonia St. in December 1976. The store's owners, Ralph and Thelma Osborne, later reopened the store at the same location. Today, Essential Health Clinic is located on that site. Tribune file photo 1977: Bert's Magic and Fun Shop Bert Forsythe, shown here in this 1977 photo, owned Bert's Magic and Fun Shop with his wife, Emma. The shop, which was located at 4329 Mormon Coulee Road, is now home to Mirage Sports Bar. Tribune file photo Big Dipper Merlin Wangen, owner of the Big Dipper in Sparta, prepares to serve an ice cream creation in this 1981 photo. The store, which was located at 106 N. Water St., is now home to MC's Sparta Grill. Tribune file photo Big River Cattle Co. Jon Schuster, shown here in 1983, opened the Great River Cattle Co. in 1980 at 716 Second Ave. N. in Onalaska. He sold the restaurant in 1989 and bought it back the next year, changing the name to Chicken Steak and Chocolate Cake. The restaurant changed hands again in 2006 and became Blue Moon, which was the name of the restaurant before Schuster's 1980 purchase. Tribune file photo Blue Tiger Lounge A fire, later determined to be arson, damaged the Blue Tiger Lounge in October 1984. Much of the building, located at 105 S. Third St., was rebuilt in 2000 and is home to That Foreign Place. Tribune file photo 1975: Bodega Lunch Club The Bodega Lunch Club, pictured in 1975, was a downtown La Crosse landmark for generations. The restaurant opened in 1897 at 122 S. Fourth St. and closed for good in 1989 after a brief closure in 1984. Jeff Hotson and Michael Breckel purchased the building in 1994 and created the Bodega Brew Pub, which still anchors the corner of Fourth and Pearl streets. Tribune file photo Bon Appetit Lebanese native Assaad Maatouk, pictured in 1981, was the chef and part owner of Bon Appetit restaurant in 1980. The eatery, located at 515 Main St., was open for about a year. The location is now home to the La Crosse Olive Oil Co. Maatouk later ran the Casablanca restaurant, first in Onalaska during the 1990s and later in La Crosse. Tribune file photo 1973: Book Exchange Georgann Bohlig, then a sophomore art student at Viterbo University, worked as a manager at The Book Exchange, located at 306 State St. in this 1973 photo. The store later moved to the city's North Side. The former downtown location is now part of The State Room bar. Tribune file photo 1923: Borgen's Restaurant This photo, circa 1923, shows Engebret Borgen standing by the counter of his restaurant. Engebret, a Norwegian immigrant, opened Borgen's Restaurant in 1905 in downtown Westby. The restaurant was relocated several times over the years, before ending up in its current location in 1948. The eatery, later renamed Borgen's Cafe, closed in 2006. Blane and Mary Charles reopened the restaurant in 2008 after about 60 local investors bought and extensively renovated the building. Contributed photo Bridgeman's Ice Cream Bridgeman's Ice Cream opened in August 1971 at 3716 Mormon Coulee Road. It was renamed Wayne's Family Restaurant in 1992 before closing. Tribune file photo 1971: Bridgeview Plaza Shopping Center A groundbreaking was held in October 1971 for Bridgeview Plaza Shopping Center on the city's far North Side. The $2.5 million development opened with a SuperValu Supermarket, which later closed, and a Shopko discount store, which is expected to close in 2019. Tribune file photo 1974: Caravel TV Sales Richard G. Hansen of Onalaska checks the color on a television in the showroom of Caravel TV Sales, which opened in 1974 at 1730 George St. Tribune file photo 1979: Carriage House of Fashion Carriage House of Fashion employees Heidi Hensel, left, and Sue Sobkowiak, steam off paint during a remodel of the 415 Jay St. store. The Carriage House was owned by Cindy Gerke, and today that location is an office for Cindy Gerke and Associates, a local real estate company. Tribune file photo Cavalier Richard Roberts Jr. signals to a crane operator as he helps reinstall the Cavalier sign on the building at 115 Fifth Ave. N. The name of the lounge, which has been called The Cavalier for nearly all of its eight decades, was briefly changed to D-Rae's in the early 1980s, during which time the iconic sign was removed. Although there have been several ownership changes, the bar remains in operation today. Tribune file photo 1985: Century Telephone Operators work in the Century Telephone office at Fifth Avenue and Jay Street. The Louisiana-based company, now know as CenturyLink, purchased the La Crosse Telephone Corp. of Wisconsin in 1971. In 2000, the company, which has grown into the third largest telecommunications company in the nation, moved into a $25 million, seven-story building at 333 N. Front St. but continues to use the Fifth Avenue building. Tribune file photo Cheddar 'n Ale T. Daniel Solie, owner of the Cheddar 'n Ale, samples some of his new restaurant's fare with store manager Joan Jahimiak and co-owner Beverlee Solie. The eatery was located in the same building as the Solies' other business, the Swiss Chateau, at 728 S. Third St. Today, that site is a sales lot for Toyota of La Crosse. Tribune file photo Chop House Henry and Leone Wright stand in front of their restaurant, The Chop House, days before it closed in April 1980. The eatery, located at 122 N. Third St., was best known for its breakfasts. That original plan was to tear down the building to make way for an expansion of First Bank-La Crosse, but the lender instead built a 10-story office tower at Second and Main streets. The former Chop House building is home to Digger's Sting today. Tribune file photo Circus Supper Club Sherry and Jim Welch, owners of the Circus Supper Club, are served some of the restaurant's popular ribs by Rita Bagniefski. Pianist and entertainer Victor Borge famously stopped in the downtown landmark during a visit to La Crosse in 1974 and was one of the eateries most famous fans. Years later, Wettstein's expanded its showroom into the space before closing in 2018. Tribune file photo Clothes N' Counter Richard Ghelfi, left, and Joe Borgen prepare merchandise for their store's 1978 opening. Clothes N' Counter was located in Menard Plaza along Lang Drive on the city's North Side. The shopping center, which opened in 1977 and included a Quillin's supermarket, was torn down in 2005 to make room for an expanded Menards. Tribune file photo Coast-to-Coast A Coast-to-Coast store opened in February 1953 at 129 S. Fourth St. Pictured here, from left, are Donald Rahnenfuehrer, Richard Larson, Mrs. Vilas Bonsack, Roger Comeau, Bud Brendle and Lily Brendle, six of the store's seven employees. Today, that location is occupied by Visions of Light Stained Glass. Tribune file photo 1954: Community Camera Center Employees of Community Camera Center, located at 506 Main St. in 1954, are shown here, from left, Mrs. David J. Marck, Robert B. Marck, Myrna Marck, David J. Marck, Ed Rendler Jr. and Larry Hackett. The business, which had several locations in downtown La Crosse, later expanded to sell computers, and was one of the region's first Apple retailers in the 1970s. Tribune file photo ComputerLand ComputerLand sales representative Rebecca J. Weber, uses an IBM business computer. The store, located at 2028 Rose Court, closed in 1998. The location is now home to Cottage Garden Floral. Tribune file photo 1973: Coney Island Richard Elsen, 17, was the winner of a hot dog eating contest in September 1973 at the Coney Island in downtown La Crosse. The first Coney Island opened in 1922 at 122 S. Fourth St. and has been there even since. The other locations are in the Village Shopping Center and the Valley View Mall in La Crosse, and Holmen. A location in Shelby Mall closed in 2003, and the Bridgeview Plaza location closed in 2018. Tribune file photo Coulee Bank Coulee State Bank opened for business on April 22, 1961, at 1520 Losey Blvd. S. The board of directors when the lender opened were, from left, V. Downing Edwards, Roy Wittenberg, Orval Nelson, Esther Domke, Roy Wasmuth, Ernie Grindler and Matt Heimermann. Coulee Bank, as it's known today, is still based out of the Losey Boulevard location, but also has locations in Onalaska and the Twin Cities. Tribune file photo Coulee Golf Bowl Coulee Golf Bowl opened in November 1964 in Onalaska, claiming the fastest ball returns in the tri-state area. The business, located 100 Green Coulee Road, has undergone several remodels and remains in business today. Tribune file photo 1954: Crescent Jewelers Manager of Crescent Jewelers Sam Horwitz, left, is shown here in this 1954 photo with, from left, Marion Horwitz, Robert Hurin and Ronald N. Boettcher. The building at 429 Main St. has housed a jewelry store since 1881 when it was Irvine Jewelers, The business was purchased by Isador Horwitz in 1950. Tribune file photo Cub Foods The Onalaska Cub Foods opened in 1984 at 9344 Hwy. 16 across from Valley View Mall, but increased competition was blamed for the store's closure in May 2004. Today, the space is occupied by TJ Maxx Home Goods and Old Navy. Planmark Engineering and Achitecture 2 comments Tags Local-history Related to this collection Local News A life remembered: 'Uncle Billy' Gerrard listened, aimed to serve Apr 13, 2017 Uncle Billy left an incredibly wide swath of mourners because they include not only his immediate family but an extended family of thousands w… Local News La Crosse retiree aces souvenir project with deck of cards Jul 5, 2017 Duane Moore’s sense of humor is such that you could call him a card, but actually, he has invented a whole deck — souvenir cards featuring 52 … Local News The Tribune's entire A-to-Z look back at La Crosse area history Jul 19, 2018 Expect to see lots of familiar places and faces. +19 Local News From Tribune files: The early years of Kwik Trip in La Crosse Feb 9, 2020 It’s not on every corner, but just about.