Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Cause of Sparta restaurant fire determined
alert top story

Cause of Sparta restaurant fire determined

{{featured_button_text}}
Restaurant fire

Great Wall Buffet in Sparta is closed after a fire started in the kitchen Tuesday.

A Dec. 29 restaurant fire in Sparta has been ruled an accident.

Sparta Area Fire Protection District chief Mike Arnold said the blaze at Great Wall Buffet began when a fire started on the grill as restaurant workers were preparing to-go orders. He said workers attempted to extinguish the fire with water and later tried to smother it with clothing.

Support Local Journalism

Your membership makes our reporting possible.
{{featured_button_text}}

The first 911 call came from a tavern one block away when the fire was already through the roof.

Arnold said the building is insured. The restaurant remains closed but a voicemail message says it will reopen as soon as repairs are complete.

0
0
0
0
0

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Tomah Journal editor

Steve Rundio is editor of the Tomah Journal. Contact him at 608-374-7785.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News