This photo shows a 1961 view of the annex of Max’s Auto Wrecking Co., started by Max Bemel in 1934.
This auto scrap business was located in the former Wisconsin Pearl Button Works building at 726 N. Third St., just south of the La Crosse River. In 1949 Bemel sold his interest to Harry B. Locketz, who maintained the name, and Manly Abrams became the vice president.
As early as the 1960s, however, many saw the salvage yard as an eyesore. Rumors started about the city potentially taking over the “blighted area” as part of a renewal effort in 1964. However, it wasn’t until 1982 when the building finally came down.
On the site now at 750 N. Third St. is an office building owned by Luisco LLC, which houses a law firm, a title company and an architectural and engineering firm. River Architects at 740 N. Seventh St. was also built on the east part of the former Maxco property.
Anyone with more information about this photo or wishing to donate photos of the Coulee Region may call the La Crosse Public Library Archives at 608-789-7136.