This photo, taken Feb. 21, 1951, shows the ruins of the old Swanson Building after an overnight fire gutted the building, which was located at the east end of Clinton Street. Elmer Swanson, who owned the building and maintained offices there for Swanson’s Heavy Movers Inc., was sleeping in an apartment on the second floor when the fire broke out but safely escaped, according to Tribune files. Other businesses that occupied the building at that time were Aircraft Parts Mfg. Co., American Beverage Sales, La Crosse Truck Equipment Co., Mathy Construction Co., Osweiler Van Service and the Scott-Dillon Tobacco Co. Anyone with more information about this photo or wishing to donate photos of the Coulee Region may contact the La Crosse Public Library Archives at 608-789-7136.