Skip to main content
You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Holmen Fire Department responds to mercury found in old cabinet
alert top story

Holmen Fire Department responds to mercury found in old cabinet

  • 0
{{featured_button_text}}

A garage sale transaction triggered a hazardous materials call in Holmen Feb. 20.

Holmen Area Fire Department chief Buck Manley reported that a resident discovered mercury inside an old cabinet that was purchased at a garage sale. The La Crosse Fire Department’s Hazardous Materials Team was summoned to the scene. The two departments spent 90 minutes mitigating the hazard.

Support Local Journalism

Your membership makes our reporting possible.
{{featured_button_text}}

La Crosse County Emergency Management and Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources were contacted about the incident.

Manley urged residents to use caution when purchasing items that may contain hazardous chemicals and materials. He said hazardous materials require proper disposal in a regulated landfill.

Manley said anyone with a disposal question can contact their local fire department or county emergency management.

0
0
0
0
0

Get local news delivered to your inbox!

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Tomah Journal editor

Steve Rundio is editor of the Tomah Journal. Contact him at 608-374-7785.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News