This photo, donated by Patti (Stickler) Deuster, shows the Western Spinning Mills in Onalaska during the early 1920s. Located at the southwest corner of Second Avenue and Main Street, this concrete and tile building was erected in 1917 to replace a frame building destroyed by fire.
The Western Spinning Mills began business in 1900 and was later known as the Wisconsin Spinning Mills and then the Mitchell Spinning Mills before closing in 1936.
At one time this plant employed up to 60 workers and produced up to 2,000 pounds of yarn daily for use in the manufacture of sweaters, socks and athletic knit goods.
This building, which later became a windowless stucco affair, was razed a couple years ago as part of the Great River Landing project.
Anyone with more information about this photo or wishing to donate photos of the Coulee Region may contact the La Crosse Public Library Archives at 608-789-7136.