(R) Places of the past: An alphabetical look back at La Crosse area history From the Places of the past: An alphabetical look back at La Crosse area history series Nov 2, 2016 Nov 2, 2016 0 The Tribune is taking an A-to-Z look at La Crosse area history.For a link to past installments, click here. Radisson Hotel This 1978 aerial photo of the downtown La Crosse riverfront was taken just before the official groundbreaking of Harborview Plaza. The multi-million dollar development included the corporate center for G. Heileman Brewing Co. (marked with an X in the photo), the Radisson Hotel (which opened in August 1980) and the La Crosse Center. Tribune file photo Ragstock Bonnie Tremmel, shown here in 1979, was store manager of the Ragstock clothing store when it opened in downtown La Crosse. Today, the 314 S. Fourth St. storefront is occupied by Designing Jewelers. Tribune file photo Ramada Inn The lobby of the Ramada Inn at Exit 2 on French Island is shown here in 1974. A corporation controlled by the Cleary family of La Crosse purchased the hotel in 1990, and it was immediately converted to a Days Inn hotel, a name it retains today. Tribune file photo 1985: Ranch House Dinner Theater Scott Manthe, left, and Renee Lieder starred in the 1985 Ranch House Dinner Theatre production of "Butterflies are Free." The Sparta performing arts venue was opened by Robert Irwin in 1984. Tribune file photo Ray Hutson Chevrolet Mike Hutson, manager of Ray Hutson Chevrolet, stands next to a 1954 Chevy convertible that was on display during the dealership's 30th anniversary in 1983. General Motors ended its franchise agreement with Ray Hutson in 2009 when it cut 1,100 dealerships nationwide. Clason Buick GMC expanded into part of the site 3232 Mormon Coulee Road in 2013. Tribune file photo Red Owl A Red Owl supermarket opened in 1954 at 41 Copeland Ave. The grocer only lasted three years there, closing in 1957. The building has been home to many other businesses over the years, and today it's home to Smith Family Furniture. Tribune file photo Rivoli Theater The Rivoli Theater, shown here in 1962, was constructed in 1920, and originally had an orchestra pit for silent movies. The theater, at 117 N. Fourth St., stopped showing movies in January 1987, but it reopened in 1994, showing primarily second-run films. Tribune file photo Rose Jewelers Walter G. Rose, pictured in 1954, holds a photo of his grandfather and store founder, George B. Rose Sr., who opened Rose Jewelers in 1856 on Pearl Street, the town's center at that time. In 1881, the business moved to 310 Main St. After operating there for 79 years, it moved to 111 Fifth Avenue S. in 1959. In 1989, Steve Rose relocated the business, which is believed to be the city's oldest, to its current site at 431 Main St. Tribune file photo Ross Furniture Home furnishings are on display in a showroom at Ross Furniture shortly before its grand opening in 1964. The building at 101 State St. was constructed in 1898 as the Joseph B. Funke Candy Co. factory, and an addition to the east end was completed in 1905. The candy factory closed in 1933. That site was where La Crosse founder Nathan Myrick erected the city's first building in 1842. The furniture store closed in 2013. Today, the building houses the 67-room Charmant Hotel, which opened in 2015. Tribune file photo 1954: Rowley's Office Equipment Rowley's Office Equipment employees — from left, sales manager Harry Gregory, rural salesman Earl Schultz, shop foreman Willard Kreibich, bookkeeper Florence Peterson and owner and founder Lee Bert Rowley — are shown here in 1954. The business operated in downtown La Crosse from 1928 until it closed its store at 100 S. Third St. in 2005. Today, the storefront is home to The Old Crow, a pub that opened in 2015. Tribune file photo Royale Pie Shop Myron "Mike" Peterson, owner of the Royale Pie Shop, is shown in 1971 shortly before his business at 915 Fifth Ave. S. closed. Peterson estimated he made 2 million pies during the 35 years he was in business. The site today is a duplex. Tribune file photo Rudy's Drive-In Maria Yutuc rolls out an order to customers at Rudy's Drive-In, 1004 La Crosse St., in this 1984 photo. Bill and Selma Rudy started their first La Crosse drive-in restaurant in 1937. Their son Dale Rudy and his wife, Beverly, later took over the family A&W drive-in business. Over the years there were locations at Fourth and Vine streets, 24th and La Crosse streets and 3005 South Ave. In 1979, their son Gary Rudy bought it from them and dropped the A&W franchise. The restaurant, which closes during the cold-weather months, remains in business today. Tribune file photo 0 comments Previous Next More in Places of the past: An alphabetical look back at La Crosse area history (19 of 26) (S) Places of the past: An alphabetical look back at La Crosse area history Read more Tags Local-history In this Series Places of the past: An alphabetical look back at La Crosse area history 1 Feb 8, 2017 collection (A) Places of the past: An alphabetical look back at La Crosse area history 2 Jul 15, 2016 collection (B) Places of the past: An alphabetical look back at La Crosse area history 3 Jul 21, 2016 collection (C) Places of the past: An alphabetical look back at La Crosse area history 26 updates Related to this collection Local News Places of the past: An alphabetical look back at La Crosse area history May 29, 2019 The Tribune is taking an A-to-Z look at La Crosse area history.