This photo from the late 1930s, taken in Riverside Park with the old wagon bridge in the background, shows a large flatbed trailer made by the La Crosse Boiler Co., whose factory was located at 418 Gould St.
In 1942, this firm changed its name to La Crosse Trailer Corp. due to its increased trailer production. During World War II, the trailer plant on Gould Street employed up to 350 workers and produced about 3,000 heavy-duty trailers for the U.S. armed forces, according to Tribune files.
The La Crosse Trailer Corp. closed 50 years ago, with an auction of its assets in April 1968.
Anyone with more information about this photo or wishing to donate photos of the Coulee Region may contact the La Crosse Public Library Archives at 608-789-7136.
From Tribune files: A look at life in La Crosse from 1900-1987
These photos are filled with many familiar faces and places from our area's past.