Woolworth opened its first La Crosse store at 422 Main St. in 1958. At the opening were, from left, official store opener B. Goehner, merchandise man J.C. Martin, store manager W.A. Schwinden, Milwaukee District superintendent R. Teiz, merchandise buyer C.A. Miller and Rochester District superintendent R.E. Foster. The national retailer closed its downtown store in 1992. The city's other Woolworth operated in the Village Shopping Center from 1962 to 1989. Today, the downtown space is home to Crossfire, a local faith-based organization.