On Sept. 21, women of the Westby Coon Prairie Church’s WELCA invited Dave and Ruth Amundson of the History Alive Project, Inc. organization to a meeting to speak to them about the history of their church windows. The couple, along with the WCP Faith Formation Director, Michelle Engh, have extensively researched and developed the information over the past year.
The WELCA were intrigued to see a copy an archived letter from June 1910 from Ford Brothers Glass in Minneapolis that referenced the eight , two panel, sanctuary windows with a purchase price of $515, plus shipping costs of $19.54. Those costs also covered a smaller one-panel window in the northwest corner behind the alter. The company is still in business today.
All but one of the windows has been dedicated to or in memory of individuals. Each of the paneled windows is highlighted with one complexly-colored liturgical symbol (example: bread and wine, the olive branch bearing dove, or the anchor of hope in God).
The Amundsons expanded on the “back story” of each of the oval inserts sharing what Biblical message each was intended to convey. Also included were details about the large stained glass window depicting Christ carrying a small lamb. That window, located in the front vestibule, was donated in November 1989, in honor of L.G. Roehl. Two additional referenced windows, dedicated to Mr. and Mrs. Earl Nestingen and Mrs. and Mrs. Chester Erlandson, located near the southeast corner of the building were also discussed.